Saturday, November 06, 2010

Letter to Globe and Mail:

Dear Editor:

On November 5th, I received my first issue of your grand old paper as a new subscriber. Seeing it in my mail slot here warmed me as I recalled reading The Toronto Globe and Mail when Richard Needham was wryly holding forth and graciously including his readers' remarks in his column. While I was also pleased to witness the layout makeover bring colour and new form to what was, in my view, an overtly conservative and staid presentation, yesterday I didn't get why the photo of the elderly couple was so prominent above the masthead, the story being of some minor human interest at best. But the obvious whopper of a boo-boo on page one (which has probably by now resulted in someone in the layout department being globetrotted) was the misplacement of the two headings - “Mutiny...” and “Harper...” and the misleading discontinuance of the Campbell story on page six.

Duh?

I expected more from you folks but alas even your vaunted group may fall prey to huffing and puffing all the wrong herbs, I suppose. But as my options here are limited to the other conglomerate recently bailed out of bankruptcy (for being so bland, predictable and celebrity-struck?) I will remain for now a reluctant subscriber. After all, as an author and collector of books, on this first delivery you've given me something to frame.

Harry Langen, Author: The Dead Sea Revelation and co-author of Dreams from Purgatory

P.S. In the event that a reporter from your formerly august institution attends my book launch this November 28th, would it be teddibly out of kilter to request copy and layout proofing prior to publication?

No comments: