Sunday, April 03, 2005

Nolan Havas' Mesmerizing Rocks

With all these beach rocks down there at English Bay one can imagine that the talented Nolan Havas, a young Cree Indian artist from Saskatchewan who has spent much of his youth on Vancouver Island, will never run out of canvases. He’s the fellow placing the rocks on the boulders in such a way as to defy gravity, as they lean into the wind standing on a tiny point of their base. He displays his sketch work while he’s concentrating with the rocks and hopes to become a graphic designer soon.

The resulting leaning rocks have a mesmerizing effect as people seem to stare in disbelief. Fun to watch Nolan manage his little crowd of fans, a lot of whom are women who manage to say the most ridiculous things just to get him chatting.

So while Nolan creates these mini-marvels what say we dismantle that Eskimo stack of boulders which to me resembles a prehistoric jumble of monoliths, devoid of artistic sensibility altogether. Given that the space its occupying is really quite precious it seems to beg for a monument of some style and beauty, something grandiose even.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

SUNDAY, APRIL 03, 2005
Nolan Havas' Mesmerizing Rocks
Can you tell me is Nolan still doing these rocks at the bay? I have known Nolan for about 18 years and have lost track of him, I would love to be in contact with him again.

Jacqueline Quewezance said...

Hi,,,i am certain this is my brother! There were four of us as children and we were all adopted out to different families! Nolan isn't Cree, hes Saulteaux. And he has three older sisters all with "LYN" in our names!! he is 2 yrs younger than me! I am an artists and my children are extremely artistic as well! And I have a huge huge affinity with rocks!! So funny!! I always carry rocks with me and when I was in my early 20's and living in Calgary at the time, I considered the possibility of making money by creating temporary rock sculptures on the street as entertainment!! I was adopted and at that time Nolan's family weren't comfortable with meeting the rest of his siblings. I met my other two sisters and always have known them, thankfully. It has been many years since I've spoken with them but I am grateful I had the chance to meet them and spend time together. I have walked by those rock sculptures many times and now I will always wonder if my little brother made them? If this is my brother it would be so amazing to find out more about your experience with him or even if you have any contact info. I heard from our Band back in SK that he was raised on the Island. I have looked up his name before but out of respect never contacted the family. Today he is an adult and its his decision to meet his siblings and I really want to meet him!!!! Please reply and I will check from time to time!! HI NOLAN!!! I'VE MISSED YOU!!~Love your sis Jacqueline

Anonymous said...

Hello I have only heard that Nolan is somewhere in downtown area Vancouver. Sorry that is all I have. If I hear from him I will show him your post.

Anonymous said...

Hello I have only heard that Nolan is somewhere in downtown area Vancouver. Sorry that is all I have. If I hear from him I will show him your post.

jacqueline Q. said...

hello, I live in Vancouver currently with my family. And work in DTES of Vancouver. Please share this with him when you do see him or pass any info on to me if you are comfortable. Thank you.

JQ said...

BTW,,my name was changed since my adoption,,so i can't be found through my given birth name however it is the name i had when we were small children and separated.

JQ said...

Hello been a few years since I first came across this blog mentioning Nolan Havas. I have learned from my sister Nolans father is Cree so I was mistaken when I said he's just Saulteaux.

Nolan, if you ever read this I would love to meet you.

Hope life has blessed you and you are well! ����

Anonymous said...

Nolan has a new hobby and is a thief now.

Anonymous said...

Oh wait, he just got arrested!
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/police-use-bait-electronics-to-nab-14-alleged-thieves-1.4130627

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Nolan is alive. Thank you for your posts. Marie